Teacher: Ms. Broderick
Long Branch High School
Teacher’s Contact Information
Extra Help Hours
SAP for Science and Tuesday/Thursday 2:30pm – 3:30pm
General Course Information
Geophysical Science or physical science
Biology is the study of life. It is an important subject in science and one that will stay with for the rest of your life. Biology class will involve some work in the laboratory. Do not expect to be in the laboratory every day. Not every aspect of Biology will involve laboratory experiments. When in the lab always observe proper safety procedures. The laboratory must be taken seriously, any student not following directions will be given a consequence. Always prepare for lab assignment by reading the directions before lab. Always clean up your laboratory area before you leave. Remember safety is important to Biology class.
80% Proficient on all Concepts
Required Texts & Materials
· 3-Ring Binder
· One Subject Notebook
- Pen or Pencil for every class
Complete: Homework, Class Work, Tests, Quizzes, Labs with Reports, Projects and Research Paper
*Students will maintain a student portfolio demonstrating work progress.
Assignments & Calendar: This course will be divided into (6) units as follows:
Unit 1- Organization
NJCCS 5.5.12A Organization in Living Interacting Systems, Homeostasis
- Intro to Biology, Characteristics of Life, Lab safety, Scientific Method
- Cell Tissue Organization
- Cell transport and Homeostasis
- Unit One Test
Unit 2- Matter & Energy Transformations in Ecosystems
- Types of Bonds and Carbon Bonding
- Cellular Respiration
- Carbon Cycle
- Unit Test 2
Ecosystems Human Activity & Biodiversity
- Food Chains/Webs, trophic levels and energy transfer
- Environmental Factors: limiting factors, species interactions, carrying capacity and Biodiversity
- Deforestation, pollution and invasive species.
- Unit 3 Test
Unit 4- Genetics/DNA
- Cell Division: mitosis and meiosis.
- Cancer and mutations
- Protein synthesis: transcription and translation
- Pedigrees and Punnett squares
- Unit Test 4
Unit 5- Natural Selection/Evolution
- Group behavior and survival
- Common ancestry
- Four factors of Evolution
- Natural Selection
- Unit 5 Test
Unit 6- Anatomy
- Interacting Body Systems and homeostasis
- Final Project/Exam
Cut off dates
MP1- 9/19, 10/4, 10/22, 11/6
MP2- 11/25, 12/12, 1/10, 1/28
MP3- 2/12, 3/2, 3/12, 4/1
MP4- 4/24, 5/11, 5/28, 6/12
Grading (credit) Criteria
Summative (Tests, projects, formal lab reports) 70%
Formative (Homework, class participation, quizzes, mini labs, classwork, notebook) 30%
Absent / Tardy Policy
Student Parent Handbook –Attendance Policy- not in excess of 20 absences.
Late to Class Policy
Students who reach 10 unexcused Period A Tardy’s will be awarded No Credit (NC) for both Period A classes
Research Paper, Power Point Presentations, Laboratory Activities,
NJEOC State Test
Student Conduct and Discipline
Student Parent Handbook : No Cell Phone/Electronic. Student lab Safety Contract.
All Incomplete/Late work is due by the Cut-Off dates; must be approved.
Late/ Make-up Work Assignments and Tests
- Can be picked up and/or completed after school
- Most assignments and notes will be posted on my website.
- MUST be completed by Cut-off dates.
Student and Parent, please read syllabus, sign and date.
Student Signature: ______________________________________________ Date: _____________________
Parent Signature: _______________________________________________ Date: _____________________