The Hate U Give Dialectical Journal
Summer Reading Assignment
For the One School, One Book Summer Reading Initiative, you will use a double-entry form to examine the details of each chapter and synthesize your understanding of The Hate U Give. This assignment will be the first Summative Assessment of the upcoming year and will also be used for the first Summative Assessment Writing Task.
- Either use a notebook or lined paper. Dialectical Journals MUST be handwritten.
- Fold pages in half vertically or draw a vertical line down the middle of the page.
- Label the top of each column: left Evidence and right Analysis (See sample below.)
- In the Evidence column, cite passages verbatim from the novel, including proper MLA citation which requires quotation marks and page numbers (Page numbers are given in parentheses, known as a parenthetical citation, at the end of the quote).
- Choose 35 quotes from throughout the novel. Ensure that quotes are provided from the beginning, middle, and end of the novel.
- Quotes should focus on the thematic concepts of:
- Individual’s Identity
- Poverty and Socioeconomic Status
- Stereotypes and Racism
- The Power of Language or a Voice
- Community and Loyalty
- Hip Hop Music and its connection to urban communities
- In the Analysis column, reflect upon the quote and respond thoughtfully:
- What theme or message does the quote convey?
- How does the quote develop this theme?
- Does this quote contain a particular figurative language or literary device? Diction (word choice) or syntax (structure)?
- DO NOT MERELY SUMMARIZE THE QUOTE. Each RESPONSE should be an insightful analysis of the significance of the quote.
- Write down your thoughts, questions, insights, and ideas while you read or immediately
after reading a chapter so the information is fresh.
- As you take notes, you should regularly reread the previous pages of notes and comments.